Friday, 26 July 2013

Rocking Your World Friday - On Friday!

It is Friday and I have actually made it on Friday! Make sure you pop over to Virginia's place to meet the other Rockettes. It is a very lovely place to be full of positivity, creativity and joy-itivity (couldn't think of a joyful -ivity word so I made one up).

So, here goes,

  • we got DS2 back from his trip safe and sound and he appears to have had a great time
  • finished the weekly challenge spot on UKS and thoroughly enjoyed it
  • we had a barbecue at the weekend in the sunshine
  • I got a reality check and realised I am never going to see a 12 again and cleared out seven bin bags of clothes. Told you I was a hoarder! But you can't scrapbook clothes so they had to go... well actually you probably can scrapbook clothes but I wish I hadn't thought of that now....
  • apart from DH injuring his leg really badly (he is fine, it is just inconvenient lol), we had a lovely day at Easby Abbey and Richmond on Monday. If you have never been, you should go. Did I take any photos? No. Am I really a scrapper? Apparently not as I forgot the camera!
  • Wednesday - polishing, hoovering and clearing... gosh I am sad... the cleaning rocks my week every week!
  • Thursday - meeting local scrappers who did not know we existed!
  • Friday - only one thing rocks on Friday.... CROP NIGHT! And we have an added bonus of a Saturday crop tomorrow too! Me oh my and it looks as though they will both be busy (yay!)
And apart from that I don't know where the week has gone. Due to DH's stupid leg injury (it is significant but he is ok), we have had a stir crazy kind of week. Everyone has been like caged lions prowling backwards and forwards in a hot enclosure with a glass front. Holidays are normally full of trips and visits and action and this is just well empty at the moment. I won't even say relaxed as the kiddiewinkies are just full of 'so are we not doing anything then? so are we not going on holiday then? so are we doing nothing then?). So we have a caged theme going on at the moment! Now, I enjoyed the UKS challenge I set and was reminded of poems I had forgotten I loved so here goes and if it is copyright I am reproducing it for educational purposes and not for personal gain ;) 


The Jaguar

The apes yawn and adore their fleas in the sun.
The parrots shriek as if they were on fire, or strut
Like cheap tarts to attract the stroller with the nut.
Fatigued with indolence, tiger and lion

Lie still as the sun. The boa-constrictor’s coil
Is a fossil. Cage after cage seems empty, or
Stinks of sleepers from the breathing straw.
It might be painted on a nursery wall.

But who runs like the rest past these arrives
At a cage where the crowd stands, stares, mesmerized,
As a child at a dream, at a jaguar hurrying enraged
Through prison darkness after the drills of his eyes

On a short fierce fuse. Not in boredom—
The eye satisfied to be blind in fire,
By the bang of blood in the brain deaf the ear—
He spins from the bars, but there’s no cage to him

More than to the visionary his cell:
His stride is wildernesses of freedom:
The world rolls under the long thrust of his heel.
Over the cage floor the horizons come.

Ted Hughes

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings

The free bird leaps
on the back of the wind
and floats downstream
till the current ends
and dips his wings
in the orange sun rays
and dares to claim the sky.


But a bird that stalks
down his narrow cage
can seldom see through
his bars of rage
his wings are clipped and
his feet are tied
so he opens his throat to sing.



The caged bird sings
with fearful trill
of the things unknown
but longed for still
and his tune is heard
on the distant hill 
for the caged bird
sings of freedom



The free bird thinks of another breeze
an the trade winds soft through the sighing trees
and the fat worms waiting on a dawn-bright lawn
and he names the sky his own.



But a caged bird stands on the grave of dreams
his shadow shouts on a nightmare scream
his wings are clipped and his feet are tied
so he opens his throat to sing



The caged bird sings
with a fearful trill
of things unknown
but longed for still
and his tune is heard
on the distant hill
for the caged bird
sings of freedom. 


Crafty 
Blogs

7 comments:

  1. Lovely poems, Jen! Hope DH's leg is better, a scrapper forgetting their camera? - tut tut ;) and I hope you cut off all the button etc etc from those clothes to use on your layouts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab poems Jen, loving your gratefuls, Friday night and Saturday crop - envious with a capital E! Glad DS arrived back safe and sound from his travels and that he enjoyed it! Hope DH leg isn't too painful for him, remembering my hubby being in a pot for 6 weeks with a broken foot - not fun!

    Hope you have a fabulous weekend and week ahead.

    Much love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list of joyitivities (I'm liking your new word!).

    Accepting facts and having a good clear out is a wonderful feeling. It's something I should really do, but I'm still in denial!

    I hope your DHs leg recovers soon, ouch :(

    Wishing you a super weekend,

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely poems, but the bird one is so sad. fancy forgetting your camera. that would be like me going out half dressed. (Though I must say my friends are a bit bemused by the fact that mine goes everywhere with me). I do hope your husbands leg heals quickly. Enjoy your Friday crop. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the poems. :) I had a clearout of the children's clothes a couple of weeks ago and felt quite sad I would never have a five-year old again, I am sure I will revisit that place regularly.

    Yay for meeting new creative people near by! How fabulous. I hope your husband's leg heals soon and the caged fever abates.

    Have a great weekend.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely gratefuls Jen. I am on a declutter mission before we go away on hols. I told Craig that I'm going to pretend we are moving again - get in that mindset of clearing the junk. Hopefully it will work ;)

    Hope hubby's leg gets better soon.

    Thank you for the poems - both beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great poems Jen.

    Just like Kate, my camera goes everywhere - it's always in my bag. I think I'd be lost if it wasn't there to grab as & when needed.

    I do hope your DHs leg recovers quickly.
    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete